Fandom Snowflake Challenge: Day 10-12
In your own space, share your love for a trope, cliché, kink, motif, or theme. Tell us about it, tell us why you love it, give us some examples and recs.
A theme I've really been loving lately is magical siblings. I was actually hoping there would be a day like this so I could talk about it lol It's just such a fun theme to me, especially since there's so much that can be done wrt siblings having different powers or fighting evil together or even fighting each other. I'd really really like to see more iterations of all of those.
Some canon examples I do know are Practical Magic, Charmed, or even Circle of Magic. I think it's especially interesting when there are more than two siblings, adopted siblings, or multiple generations of siblings, which is why Practical Magic has quickly become one of my fave movies. As far as fannish examples goes, I can't really think of too many, which is a shame. The main thing that comes to mind is the theory back in the first season (and maybe even second season) of Teen Wolf that Deaton and Morrell were siblings. I think I might have even written meta about it, or at least planned on writing some before it got shot down.
I really wish I had some more examples to share, especially fannish ones. So if anyone has canon or fannish stuff fitting the magical siblings theme, please feel free to share!
In your own space, talk about a creator. Show us why you think they are amazing.
I was trying to decide if I wanted to do a multi fandom list of ppl again this year, but I couldn't think of enough ppl I hadn't already talked about, so I eventually decided I just wanted to focus on one person a little more in depth. I tried to think of someone whose works I like and who I admire as a creator, so here is a little of my admiration for hollyhark :)
I first came across Holly through the Star Trek fandom, though she's written in a lot of different fandoms. She wrote the only Chulu fic I've ever read, Once Upon a Time in the West, which was really heartbreaking and wonderful. I didn't start following her stuff until this past year with Star Wars though. She wrote what I consider to be the Kylux fic, Children, Wake Up. It's an enormous (over 600k!), beautifully evocative series about Kylo and Hux falling in love and falling into the hands of the Rebels. I haven't finished the last fic, which just recently wrapped up, but I have so much love for her characterization and the emotions she manages to pack into every word. I would honestly recommend this series to anyone who has even the most passing interest in Kylux, or even Star Wars in general. All her fic can be found on AO3.
But besides her amazing fics, I really look up to Holly for her sheer writing skills. As you might have noticed, she writes a lot. Iirc, she's said she writes about 20k a week, which is just... I can't even imagine being able to write that much in such a short amount of time. And it's all so good! Her writing is legit quality. She has a fantastic style and really knows how to bring all the emotions, as well as make you laugh. She's so personable on her tumblr, too, and I've really enjoyed following her. Honestly, she's writer goals for me.
In your own space, post a rec for fannish spaces and resources - comms, challenges, twitters, tumblrs, etc. Tell us about where you hang out.
Hmm, this is a difficult one bc as much as I spend the majority of my life in fannish spaces, primarily tumblr tbh, there aren't very many "spaces" other than my own personal ones that I feel like I spend a lot of time in. And especially lately, I haven't had a lot of time/spoons to more than browse
But here are some space and resources that I've enjoyed:
- ao3tagoftheday. This blog is so hilarious. Basically it just posts funny/odd tags that are posted on AO3 works. I just love seeing the [WORD] of fandom.
- comment_fic. I really love this comm bc it's all about prompting and writing short, comment length fics. It's been a really good place for me to explore fandoms that I wouldn't necessarily be able to write longer fic for, and I really love being able to write things for other people. Plus getting my own prompts filled is awesome!
- _fandom_icons_. Icons! I love icons, and this is one of the most active icon comms I know of here. I really like that there are so many fandoms represented, so I can usually find something good for whatever new fandom I need an icon for but don't want to make myself. And of course it's a good place to pimp my icons too lol
- heckyeahharrisco. My current favorite ship specific blog. I love this tiny ship so much, and it's been a lot of fun meeting ppl through it :)
- icon_textures. One can never have too many textures when making icons, and I've found a lot of great stuff here.
- sgagenrefinders & sgastoryfinders. I'm not hugely active in SGA, but I do love me some fic and I have a terrible memory for titles and authors. So these comms has been really helpful in finding fics I've lost track of and finding new ones for a particular theme or kink craving.
- toastystats. One of my favorite things about fandom is actually doing analysis and statistics. Or at least reading about them. I'm gonna blame my anthropology background, but I just find it fascinating to see stuff about fandom broken down into the numbers and percentages. It's especially interesting to me to see how my perception of fandom differs from the reality.
- whatwasthatbook. Not exactly fannish, but again, I have a terrible memory and love fining new things to read. I've posted to this comm several times, and discovered many new books to read on the way!
- wipbigbang. Ok maybe this is cheating a little bc I'm head mod, but I really love this bang. I participated the first year and have been modding since the second, and honestly it's been so much fun. I love having ppl tell me that they finally finished a fic that's been languishing for years or that the incentive of getting art for WIP got them writing again for the first time in ages.
- incorrectyjquotes. So so funny! I don't know the source canon for a lot of the quotes, but they just fit them to the characters so perfectly :D